Warning against Neglect
We must, therefore, pay even more attention to what we have heard, so that we will not drift away. 2) For if the message spoken through angels was legally binding and every transgression and disobedience received a just punishment, 3) how will we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? It was first spoken by the Lord and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him. 4) At the same time, God also testified by signs and wonders, various miracles, and distributions of gifts from the Holy Spirit according to His will.
Jesus and Humanity
5) For He has not subjected to angels the world to come that we are talking about. 6) But one has somewhere testified: What is man that You remember him, or the son of man that You care for him? 7) You made him lower than the angels for a short time;
You crowned him with glory and honor 8) and subjected everything under his feet.
For in subjecting everything to him, He left nothing that is not subject to him. As it is, we do not yet see everything subjected to him. 9) But we do see Jesus—made lower than the angels for a short time so that by God’s grace He might taste death for everyone—crowned with glory and honor because of His suffering in death. 10) For in bringing many sons to glory, it was entirely appropriate that God—all things exist for Him and through Him—should make the source of their salvation perfect through sufferings. 11) For the One who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one Father. That is why Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers, 12) saying: I will proclaim Your name to My brothers; I will sing hymns to You in the congregation.
13) Again, I will trust in Him. And again, Here I am with the children God gave Me. 14) Now since the children have flesh and blood in common, Jesus also shared in these, so that through His death He might destroy the one holding the power of death—that is, the Devil— 15) and free those who were held in slavery all their lives by the fear of death. 16) For it is clear that He does not reach out to help angels, but to help Abraham’s offspring. 17) Therefore, He had to be like His brothers in every way, so that He could become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18) For since He Himself was tested and has suffered, He is able to help those who are tested.
Our Apostle and High Priest
Therefore, holy brothers and companions in a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession; 2) He was faithful to the One who appointed Him, just as Moses was in all God’s household. 3) For Jesus is considered worthy of more glory than Moses, just as the builder has more honor than the house. 4) Now every house is built by someone, but the One who built everything is God. 5) Moses was faithful as a servant in all God’s household, as a testimony to what would be said in the future. 6) But Christ was faithful as a Son over His household. And we are that household if we hold on to the courage and the confidence of our hope.
Warning against Unbelief
7) Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says: Today, if you hear His voice,
8) do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, on the day of testing in the wilderness,
9) where your fathers tested Me, tried Me, and saw My works 10) for 40 years.
Therefore I was provoked with that generation and said, “They always go astray in their hearts, and they have not known My ways.” 11 So) I swore in My anger,
“They will not enter My rest.” 12) Watch out, brothers, so that there won’t be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart that departs from the living God.
13) But encourage each other daily, while it is still called today, so that none of you is hardened by sin’s deception. 14) For we have become companions of the Messiah if we hold firmly until the end the reality that we had at the start. 15) As it is said: Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion. 16) For who heard and rebelled? Wasn’t it really all who came out of Egypt under Moses? 17) And who was He provoked with for 40 years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the wilderness? 18) And who did He swear to that they would not enter His rest, if not those who disobeyed? 19) So we see that they were unable to enter because of unbelief.
For everyone who practices wicked things hates the light and avoids it, so that his deeds may not be exposed. But anyone who lives by the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be shown to be accomplished by God.”
“Jesus, Jesus, Jesus – Sweetest Name I Know”
“Because He Lives, I Can Face Tomorrow”
“It Is Well With My Soul”